
Paella is a rice dish believed to have originated from Valencia, Spain in the 19th century. It gets its name from the
Paellera, a round shallow metal pan with two handles.
Over the years, it has evolved into a dish that typically uses short-grained rice; together with meats such chicken, rabbit meat, and snails; combined together with an assortment of beans; and colored with saffron. In the Philippines, seafoods such as shrimps, crabs, and squid, and chorizo de Bilbao sausage is generally added when making paella. For years, our maid used to make paella on a regular basis. However, when my mother passed away, the maid left and there was no one to cook the paella. Yesterday, I decided to learn how to make Paella. I research the process over the internet, and bought the ingredients from the market. Because I did not have an honest to goodness paellera, I used a turkey roaster with a lid in which to cook the paella. I posted the experience on my FaceBook wall, and recieved many comments ranging from "Why did I not attend a pot luck and bring Paella", to "That look's so good! I would like to taste it." Many of you out there wrote to ask for the recipe. So the main purpose of this blog entry is to give the recipe and also encourage people to tryout the recipe. Paella is really easy to make and is a good one dish meal. You can make lots of it and it keeps well. The paella made last night heated up very well for today's lunch. So here is the procedure:
In a frying pan, sautee 4 springs of green onion chopped up, 2 large red bell pepers cut into strips, 4 large tomatoes chopped up, 5 cloves of garlic chopped up. Add 2 teaspons of Spanish Paprika, a few strands of saffron, 4 cups of short grained rice, a cup of green peas and 8 cups of boiling chicken stock. I adjusted the seasoning by adding some salt and peper to the broth. You an also add some chicken buoillon cubes for added flavor. Transfer this mixture to a paellera, or some container that in which you can cook the paella in the over (a large flat Pyrex cooking dish works well for this). Arrange chicken (I used skinless chicken thighs cut up in to pieces), seafood (I used squid cut up into rings and large shrimps un-shelled), a four pieces of chorizo de bilbao cut up into bite-sized pieces on the top and bake at 300F for 40 minutes, or at least until the rice is cooked. You may have to taste it during the cooking process to determine if the rice is cooked.
Hope you enjoy eating this as much as I did. Bon Appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment