
Sometime ago, a high school classmate of mine asked if I knew how to make a
Tres Leche Cake. That was the first time I ever heard of such a cake. So again, I researched on the internet how to make the cake. It appears it is a yellow sponge cake that is then drenched with mixture consisting of evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream in equal proportions. The cake is then refrigerated so that the milk mixture thickness somewhat. Just before serving, top the cake with whipped cream or Cool Whip together with some fruit. I've since learned there are easy ways to make this cake. Buying a ready made chiffon cake, and then drenching it with the milk mixture is the easiest and quickest way to do it. You can also use a yellow cake made from a cake mix. The key is to make sure that the cake soaked in the milk mixture is refrigerated for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight, in the refrigerator. The cake must be in some sort of container so that it has a chance to sit in the milk mixture and soak it up. If you make the cake from scratch or a mix, use a 13x9 rectangular pan, preferably the pyrex dish. To help the milk mixture penetrate into the cake, poke holes all over the cake using the fork, toothpick, or bamboo skewer. Among the fruits I like to use are strawberry, kiwi, or even frozen raspberries. I normally put this directly above the cake, and then place the whipped cream topping. When I use fruits, I normally put a tablespoon of a liqueur in the milk mixture. For fruits like those I've mentioned, I normally put Grand Marnier or Bailey's Irish Creme both in the mixture as well as the whipped topping. If fruits are not available, I normally put semi-sweet cholocate on the whipped topping, and flavor the milk mixture with Kahlua. Recently, I brought this cake to a christmas pot luck dinner for international students hosted by my church. The pot luck spread is shown in the accompanying picture. I had barely eaten when one of my churchmates told me that my cake was a hit. By the time I had reached the pot luck table, the cake, crumbs and all, had evaporated (maybe because of the evaporated milk used in making the cake). I guess that is a testimony to how good this cake is. I do hope of you out there would try it.
No comments:
Post a Comment